Liberty softball enters new season with strong veteran core

Junior+Brooklyn+Mauro+is+one+of+several+returning+Eagles+from+last+years+varsity+squad.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+yearbook+staff.+

Junior Brooklyn Mauro is one of several returning Eagles from last year’s varsity squad. Photo courtesy of the yearbook staff.

Angelina Lamb, Staff Reporter

The Liberty softball team got their first victory of the 2023 spring with a whopping 11-2 score against district opponent the Millbrook Pioneers. 

The victory was the first of what is hopefully many for a roster with an abundance of returning veterans.

Last year Liberty had a great district lead, but the season ended abruptly. The pitching in the previous season was taxing on the roster, as they only had a handful of pitchers on the team. 

The team also lost catcher Lauren Leatherman to a broken wrist, and it crushed some of the momentum they stored up.

¨When you lose your catcher who pretty much calls all the pitches, and takes care of the defense along with getting everybody set up, that’s a big hit,¨  said coach Chris Leatherman.

The girls are hoping to pick up where they left off and move past the issues the challenges that plagued them last season.

This season, LC Smith and Lauren Dean return to the mound, while freshman Avery Walker will be contributing to the pitching rotation.

¨I think it’s gonna be better because we can like switch them out more and our other pitchers won’t get as tired,¨ junior Nora Duncan said on the new addition to the pitching staff.

With the added pitcher, Liberty players are hoping it will help them against the other teams in their new season.

Recovering in the new season is looking promising as defense and offense are both looking strong.

Returning starters Nora Duncan, Brooklyn Mauro will look to flash the leather all spring on defense, while offensive players Isabelle Cavins and LC Smith should set the tone at the plate. 

Batting for this season should go well as Coach Leatherman is confident in this year’s offensive lineup. Catcher Lauren Leatherman echoes this sentiment. 

¨I think our batting will definitely save us a lot, if our bats aren’t on we aren’t gonna do well,¨ said senior Lauren Leatherman. 

On the schedule for this year, there are a few games Liberty softball is especially waiting for. The win against Millbrook has already been an accomplishment for the team as they have lost against them in recent seasons. 

Of course, a match-up against the in-county rival Falcons is highly anticipated.

¨My favorite game is probably gonna be Fauquier, because Fauquier is our rival, and we beat them last year, so we want to beat them again,¨ said Duncan.

Liberty’s next game is Thursday March 23 at home against John Handley.