School Honors Legacy: Auditorium Dedicated to First Band Director

Liberty High School opened in 1994 and many things changed since then. But one thing that will always be known is the musical spirit of the school. 

Students look forward to seeing the marching band show every year during football game halftimes. Even when the season ends, many other bands are present at LHS all year long and perform great shows such as the traditional winter and spring concert or even the jazz band concert. It has always been a part of Liberty High School but the one that started all this is Mister Richard L. Griffith Jr.

He was the very first band director when the school opened, 30 years ago. He taught music in Fauquier County for 36 years. He moved from Fauquier High School to Cedar Lee Middle School and Liberty High School, and finally to Taylor Middle School after 7 years working at Liberty. Sadly Mr Grifith is no longer with us. He passed away on August 31st, 2023 at 62 years old. He meant a lot to the current band director Mr. Neidich. He was the one to welcome him in 2002 when Neidich took the job at LHS and helped him get situated with the program, gave him advice, and guided him through this job. 

He also assisted him in the marching band for many years helping with the percussion and the overall band when he worked at Taylor Middle School.

“I knew him quite well, I have very fond memories of Mr Griffith and miss him very much,” said Mr. Neidich. 

He was dedicated to the school and brought high expectations for the band program. But one particular thing that left a mark at Liberty was starting the tradition of playing in the main lobby in the morning on Friday home football games. It is something that has been going on for 30 years. It truly affects the identity of Liberty because it represents who we are as a school. 

To honor and remember him, the school has dedicated the auditorium to him. Thursday, May 9th at 6.30 was the spring concert for the band. It is a typical concert that happens every year in May however this year the student musicians made a special presentation to dedicate the auditorium to Mr. Griffith. The band boosters spearheaded this project with the purchase of a plaque that will commemorate the dedication and that will be hung outside the auditorium for everybody to see on Liberty Avenue.

This commemoration is important because Richard Griffith was a role model for the students with all those years of dedication and service to the program. He truly influenced a lot of young musicians over the years. According to Mr Neidich, it just makes sense because he was the first to get the band and the music program started. It is important to remember what he did and his legacy that continues here at Liberty High School through the band.

View Comments (1)