PlayStation 5: Rumors, Leaks, and Speculations

The release of the PlayStation 5 is fast approaching, as it hits shelves during the 2020 holiday season. As expected, many leaks and rumors are surrounding the new console. However, some rumors should be taken with a bit more than a pinch of salt.

The latest leaks come from 4Chan and Reddit and claim the PS5 will be revealed on February 5th at a press conference with the media. They will supposedly display a showcase of designs, specs, backward-compatibility, and a deeper look into PlayStation Now, Sony’s online streaming services. The price of the console will also be revealed, as it is now estimated anywhere from $300-$500, with some speculating an absurdly expensive $1000 for the console. 

Some massive rumors are backward-compatibility, meaning games from all previous consoles (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, and PS4) will be playable on the PS5, making it the all-around best PlayStation console to date. DualShock 4 and PSVR will be forwards compatible with the PS5, making transitioning to the new console easier. 

In addition to that, the PS5 includes several launch titles such as Gran Tourismo 7, Demon Souls Remastered, and MLB The Show 21. These titles are expected to be released alongside or even with the console when it hits shelves. PlayStation is also moving past DualShock and it’s “rumbling” features, to provide a more diverse sensation in different games using haptic feedback.
“Crashing into a wall in a race car will feel much different than making a tackle on the football field,” said President and CEO of PlayStation, Jim Ryan.

However, every rumor has to start somewhere, and the source of all these rumors does not seem to be credible. First of all, the information is based on an Anonymous user on 4Chan, which could be anyone on the internet. There are no sources and no reason why anyone should believe this information at face value. As well as the elephant in the room. The leaks mention E3 2020, yet Sony has already confirmed they won’t be attending E3 again this year. 

Gamers themselves are split on the issue, with some taking the side of Sony, and others resorting to other companies this year.

“I have high hopes for the success of the console. The backward-compatibility sounds very promising to me, I can’t wait to purchase the console for myself and relive my older games. I’ve always been a PlayStation fan, so this is promising news,” said freshman Ernesto Calderon.

“I don’t like Sony as a company. The PS5 seems like a waste of money, and a cluttered, clunky mess. Personally, I will be investing in Microsoft’s new consoles, such as the Xbox Series X,” said freshman Tim Hilliard.

“I am a Nintendo fan. It has a simpler UI, and it includes more titles that I enjoy,” says freshman Hailey Marquise.

“I am looking forward to the high processing power of the console, I would love to experience my old LEGO Star Wars games in the crystal clear 4K of the PS5,” said freshman Josh Donahoo.

However, if anyone would like to know which console is the better option, the PS5 or the Xbox Series X, it’s up to whichever they would prefer. They are very similar quality-wise, with the biggest difference being Microsoft’s built-in Cloud Software that comes with Series X. Another major difference is the price, with the PlayStation costing significantly less by an estimated $100 or so, retailing at around $450.
We’ll have to see what the future holds for the PlayStation 5 and as more rumors get confirmed or denied regarding aspects of the upcoming console. More information will be revealed soon enough, as it will hit shelves later this year.