The Yearly Elective Fair at LHS is Just Around the Corner

Liberty has been hosting the elective fair for years but as of the school year 2016-2017 the Director of Counseling, Mr. Eric McCaslin, along with others decided to change the format of the fair.

The original way the elective fair had been set up was students going to the gym to walk around and check out teachers elective booths to learn more and ask questions for information.

“Many students were not taking advantage of the opportunity to talk to teachers about their courses,” said Mr. McCaslin.

The new system includes student filling out an online form to have a generated schedule that will then be followed by a bell rotation. Students will visit nine different classes, talking about nine different courses for ten minutes each. 

“The new format ensures that students will hear information about different courses from different academic backgrounds,” said Mr. McCaslin.

The elective fair is for the rising tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students to get an opportunity to learn about different electives offered at LHS that may or may not interest the individual student. 

“Hopefully this will help students make more informed decisions about classes that they take to help them work towards their future educational and career goals they are considering,” said Director of Counseling Mr. McCaslin.

The elective fair will be held on Friday, February 28th morning from 9:20am-11:30am.

“As of right now, the details are still being ironed out and will be released sometime this week,” said Mr. McCaslin.

The survey will be open for students to choose their rotation classes will begin on Friday, February 14th. Students can find the survey on the LHS Counseling Website and on the Counseling Departments Twitter page (@LHSEaglesCslg). It will also be shared with all second block students beginning Tuesday, February 18th by their teachers. Completion of the survey by February 21st is required from every student. Those that do not initially do it will have to be tracked down to ask them to complete the survey.

Seniors will spend the majority of their time in the Cafeteria, the upper, lower, and main court of the Gym. They will be occupied by having a Breakfast, Career Fair and Info Session about Post-Grad options.

“Since this format has been used, we have had many students and teachers share positive feedback. Students have referenced the elective fair more frequently saying that they had learned helpful info about a course they ended up taking. The teachers have been able to market their classes better and we have sign a rise in enrollments in several classes,” said Mr. McCaslin.