PIVOT! Fauquier Students Now Have to Adjust to 100% Virtual Schooling

Dating back all the way to Friday, March 13th, Fauquier County Schools have been wading through uncharted waters due to the global wide pandemic of Covid-19. With finishing the 2019-2020 school year completely online, the talk of the summer has been how students will be returning to school for the 2020-2021 school year. 

Originally on July 13th, the Fauquier County School Board released that all families of FCPS could decide whether they wanted to attend school with a blended AA/BB learning model or remain at home under a 100% virtual learning model. However, as weeks passed, more difficulties seemed to rise, leading to another School Board Meeting on August 10th to reevaluate their prior decision. That Monday night, the School Board revealed that FCPS will be participating in a 100% virtual learning model for the full first semester, still starting on August 24th. 

With the news still settling in, students, and even teachers and families, are learning to accept the difficult fact that for many months, learning will be strictly online. Amongst the students of Liberty, there are many mixed feelings towards this final decision. 

For some students, they feel that this final decision of complete online schooling would prove to be the wisest decision to begin the school year with.

“In my opinion, I think it is the best idea considering the circumstances right now. Even though I know it will take some adjusting and getting used to, I think we will be able to do it and still be successful,” said junior Ally Corvin.

“Honestly, in my personal opinion, I am okay with this decision. I completely understand why other people are upset, but everyone is trying as best as they can. There are so many factors to consider and it is a stressful situation for everyone. Overall, I believe we just need to be kinder to each other and put ourselves in the opposing position,” said senior Hannah Kroetz.

Also, other students, specifically seniors, are upset about their school years being drastically different; they were expecting a source of some normalcy in the midst of this difficult time.

“I am upset about my senior year being significantly changed and altered, however, I feel as though the school board made the right decision in putting the students and teachers health and safety as their first priority,” said senior Hunter Humphries.

However, some students wished that the school board had never changed from their decision in the first place, favoring the idea of letting the families decide which model they would like to participate in. 

“I honestly do not agree with the final decision because I believe it should have remained with the AA/BB learning model or 100% virtual learning model; it made everyone happy. Now there is no option for students to return back to school and in result, many families are upset. For instance, what about the kids where school is a safe haven for them? Their safe haven is taken away from them which is very saddening. I do not fully believe that 100% virtual is going to be a success,” said senior Jessalyn Robinson. 

“I am upset about the all virtual schooling because I was really looking forward to going back to school and being able to see all my friends who I haven’t seen since last school year. Personally, I was hoping for the choice to decide the way of schooling for each individual family because the situation for each family will be completely different. 100% virtual schooling might not be fitting for everyone due to various reasons,” said junior Sydni Smith.

With all these feelings swirling around, students, families, and teachers still have to work and plan to accept the 100% virtual learning model. Even though this model will be different and challenging, everyone must attempt to be optimistic and focus on being as successful as they can under the specific circumstances everyone must face.