Project Lit offers students plenty of choice in 2021

LHS student book club integrates monthly theme for students to pick from

More+information+on+Project+Lit+can+be+found+by+students+in+the+LHS+library.+

Susy Holbrook

More information on Project Lit can be found by students in the LHS library.

Susy Holbrook, Staff Reporter

If students have a love for reading and need help finding new books, Project Lit is the place for them. Project Lit is a book club amongst students that is run by Ms. Corbin and Mrs. Converse. They meet in the library for the second half of One Lunch at least once a month.

This is Project Lit’s fourth year at LHS, and some changes have been made. So, what’s different about Project Lit this year?

“Instead of reading one book a  month, it goes by theme this year, giving students more of a choice,” said Ms. Corbin. 

Why should students join Project Lit? There are many new books that students get to choose from and they will likely never get bored considering the theme and genre changes every month. It is also a place to expand socially and meet new people that share similar interests.

The themes and books for each month are selected by Project Lit’s national network of teachers but the participating teachers have the power to give multiple choices of books at their respective schools. This fall’s book themes are Latinx Authors (September), Mystery/Fantasy (October), Female Authors (November) and Novel in Verse (December). 

This month’s theme is Latinx Authors and there are several different authors to choose from including: Jenny Sanchez, Benjamin Saenz, Adam Silvera, Elizabeth Acevedo, Erika Sanchez, Mark Oshiro, Matt Mendez, Tony Medina and Ibi Zoboi.

Ms. Corbin would love for students to come to a meeting and join Project Lit. While the book club has a solid foundation of members, they are always happy to accept newcomers.

“We usually have 20-25 students per year but would love more,” said Ms. Corbin. 

Ms.Corbin has also stated that seeing students excited about what they are reading is her favorite part of running the club. Those interested in Project Lit can come to the next meeting on September 23rd.