Senior-led Eagles tip off season with a pair of victories

Boy’s basketball brings experience to court this year and hopes to be “different”

Coach+Pat+Frazer+and+the+Eagles+return+after+playing+7+games+in+last+years+Covid+19-shortened+season.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+yearbook+staff.+

Coach Pat Frazer and the Eagles return after playing 7 games in last years Covid 19-shortened season. Photo courtesy of the yearbook staff.

Colin Fitzmaurice, Staff Reporter

The Liberty Boys Basketball team started their 2021 season with their home opener on November 29th against the Culpeper Blue Devils, a game they won 68-67. Coach Pat Frazer hopes the win is one of many this winter, as he believes their senior-led team has the talent to be competitive. 

“We have a lot of seniors this year and we are hoping to be good this year, we definitely have the talent to win a lot of games this year,” said Frazier. 

The varsity roster includes nine seniors including: Zachary Bailey, James Fowler, Dakota Hodgson, Dakota Lindsay, Conner Mahek, Luke McCaslin, Landon Medley, Trey Richards, and Coy Shepard.

Seniors Coy Shepard, James Fowler along, and junior Alijah Jackson are looking to play prominent roles on the court this season.

“I’m looking forward to this year. We have a lot of talent on this team and I think we’ll be pretty good,” said Shepard.

“I’m glad I get to play varsity this year and I just know me and this whole team is trying to be great and we will be great,” said Jackson. 

Fowler mentioned he is most looking forward to a full season after last year was abbreviated due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“I’m really looking forward to playing with the squad. I think we’ve got a lot of good guys and I’m happy we’re getting a full season this year,” said Fowler.

Looking ahead to this season, Coach Frazer wants this years team to be more accountable and distinguish themselves from their competitors.

“We want to be great and we want to be different this year,” said Frazer. “Being different as a team means keeping our intensity up in all of our practices, we want to practice how we play. Throughout this season’s players will be setting their own personal goals for practice and they will partner up with another player so they can both make sure they are achieving their goals.” 

Both JV and varsity teams started their week with a loaded schedule playing 3 games in their first week. The Liberty teams looked good in their games both going 2-1. Varsity defeated both Culpeper and Stafford. 

The second week of their season will be a tough one as they play 3 games again this week.

On Monday they travel to King George High School as they face off against the Foxes. On Tuesday they are staying at home as they face off against the Brentsville Tigers. Then to wrap up the second week of basketball Liberty will travel to Kettle Run for their first matchup against the Cougars.