2022 begins the Coach Mecke era for Liberty baseball

Varsity+baseball+begins+their+season+at+home+against+Chancellor+on+3%2F15.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+yearbook+staff.+

Varsity baseball begins their season at home against Chancellor on 3/15. Photo courtesy of the yearbook staff.

Amara Collins, Staff Reporter

Liberty High School’s varsity baseball team is starting off the season strong with a new head coach and ten returning players on the team.

The new head coach is Jason Mecke. Coach Mecke has been playing baseball since he was a kid. He played it all through high school and was the head coach of Cedar Lee Middle School. He helped out Liberty’s baseball team last year and this year went on to become the head coach.

“I love being head coach so far,” said Coach Mecke.

Coach Mecke takes over after the departure of Coach Tom Determan at the end of last season.

“Having a new coach is different but I think it’s a good step up,” said junior Nathan Mecke.

Junior Cody Myers credits his new coach’s positivity.

“The coach has a good mindset,” said junior Cody Myers.

Having a new coach is a change that hopefully sets the team in the right direction. The baseball team is expecting a winning season and has a mix of new potential and returning players.  The varsity roster feature 15 total players including three seniors, three juniors, four sophomores, and six freshmen. 

“We’ve been improving a lot since last year and I think we’re going to have a good season,” said Myers.

The team is looking forward to playing this season without Covid and is looking forward to playing against their rival, Fauquier High School.

“The atmosphere of the team is really good. We have a lot of new kids that bring good things to the team and we have a lot of returning players that are helping out,” said Myers.

The baseball boys are bringing their A-game this season and are very excited for their first game on March 14th. They will host the Chancellor Chargers. They then have three home games in four days on 3/22, 3/24. and 3/25.