Eagles softball is young, ready to win

Liberty+softball+plays+again+at+home+on+3%2F22+against+John+Handley.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+yearbook+staff.+

Charity Byrd

Liberty softball plays again at home on 3/22 against John Handley. Photo courtesy of the yearbook staff.

Jacob Klassen, Staff Reporter

The LHS girl’s varsity softball team is starting off the 2022 season strong with a pretty young team.

Coach Chris Leatherman is looking forward to this season with five of the nine starting are sophomores or freshmen.

“We have a pretty solid team to look forward to,” said Coach Leatherman.

A pitcher to watch out for is Katelynn Lewis, a senior who has been on varsity all four years and brings fielding and a big bat on top of pitching.

A catcher to watch out for is Lauren Leatherman, she’s a wall behind the plate and has an excellent arm and a great hitter as well.

Isabelle Cavins is their speed. She placed fifth in the 55m state this winter track season. Cavins can cover a lot of ground in the outfield and loves running the bases.

LC Smith, a sophomore, already hit a home run in her first at bat in the first scrimmage, and another in the first game for a two run score in the bottom of the 1st. 

Kileigh Hash, Abby Walker, Lauren Dean, Nora Duncan, and Brooklyn Mauro are all returning varsity players, while Nicole Pearson, Madison Goldizen, Ariyana Robinson, and Jasmin Jones are new members of the team. 

“I think people will be surprised that even though we are young, we should be able to compete. As long as we work together, stay positive and communicate, good things will happen. Its a great group of kids,” said Leatherman.

The girl’s have already gotten off to a red hot start, as they beat the Chancellor Chargers in their first game 14-4 and then beat Kettle Run 10-1 three days later. Their next matchup is at home against John Handley on 3/22.