PSAT day arrives for Liberty test takers.

Connie Ulloa, Staff Reporter

The annual Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, or its better known as PSAT, has arrived for LHS sophomores and some registered juniors. It will take place on Tuesday, October 25.

The PSAT is optional, but it is worth taking. It prepares students for the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). By taking the PSAT students can expect the same type of content that will be on the SAT. The main difference between PSAT and SAT is that the questions are harder, but they both have the same general topics. The SAT is slightly longer.

Some colleges, most four year colleges require SAT for the application process, so it is important students pass. 

If you score high enough on the PSAT students will be eligible to get scholarships opportunities. Same goes for the SAT, and it could also reduce student prices for college.

The top score students can get on the PSAT is 1500. For every answer they pick they get scored on the correct ones and not the incorrect ones. 

The PSAT is 2 hours and 30 minutes long, each section has a time limit. There are three math sections and three reading sections.

Students who have previously taken the PSAT say it is helpful to prepare for the larger and generally more important SAT.

“It is worth taking because it helps students prepare for that SAT and it also helps students strategize as they think about their college applications,” said senior Betzaida Cortez

“Advice I would give to the sophomores or any one tasking the PSAT is to relax and don’t stress about it, get a good night sleep before taking the PSAT and study,” said junior Lauro Mendoza Reyes.

One benefit of the PSAT is that it helps students adjust to a strenuous test taking experience that may be new to them. Junior Erick Zaraleta says mimicking the environment while studying is a great tip to help students prepare.

“Match the test environment whenever you study at home, that could mean studying on a desk and not on your bed, because it will make you feel more comfortable taking the test,” said Zaraleta.

Mrs. Lillard is the guidance counselor that helps set up all the PSAT testing for LHS students. She mentions that a good PSAT score may help with future SOL requirements.

“If you are able to, score high enough on either the math section or the reading section, because that is all you get tested on. You may score high enough on the PSAT  that you won’t have to take the SOL for either of those subjects,” said Mrs. Lillard.

Students are on an altered bell schedule for PSAT’s and those not taking the PSAT’s will start their day in 3rd block at 11:30.