The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Return of OG Fortnite

Fortnite has regenerated the gaming landscape, interesting players of all ages with its addictive gameplay and spirited community. Fortnite came out on July 21, 2017 by the founder and CEO Tim Sweeny who decided to launch it. Since the game came out it has always been making updates every couple of months but there have always been people that say the updated version isn’t good/doesn’t feel like the game that came out in 2017. So this year with new CCO Charlie Wen, he decided to reboot the old season exactly how it was in 2017 with better graphics, gameplay improvements, and new maps. The update took place on November 3rd, 2023 which fell on a Friday. Epic Games doesn’t plan on this being the only update during November, each Thursday of November the game will have an update bringing back the look of the season, for example on November 3rd it brought back the weapons that we got when the game first came out. Traps, shopping carts, and ATKs were present in the original Season 5, along with weapons like the pump shotgun, hunting rifle, grappler, and boogie bomb all became unvalued as well making a great recapture of the iconic season. The entire month will bring a total of 4 updates, each changing the season and bringing it all to a close on December 2nd.  

When the new seasons were released 5,888,686 players were online however that isn’t the most it’s reached. November 4th had a new all-time high with a record 44.7 million players according to www.fortnite.gg. Each week of November will bring a new update, taking players through previous seasons, and becoming a new first for the game. Fortnite offers two main game modes Battle Royale and Save the world. In Battle Royale, players are dropped onto the island that is on the map and must fight to be the last person standing with their building mechanics. Having those mechanics creates a heated and dynamic experience. Save the World on the other hand is a cooperative mode where players team up to fight against zombie-like creatures.

One of the reasons for Fortnite’s huge popularity is its strong sense of community because players can team up with friends or join forces with strangers to form a duo, a trio, and a squad cherishing a spirit of teamwork. The game also hosts regular events and challenges, keeping players engaged and connected. Along with all these aspects, there is also a wide variety of game modes to pick from, there is the normal build mode, zero builds which removes the building mechanics and revolves around better aim and weapons not skill in building.

There is also a creative mode that allows players to make games for players with hundreds of thousands of different modes. Fortnite’s creative mode allows players to unleash their imagination and build their worlds. From towering structures, the possibilities are endless. This feature has not only enlightened the creativity of players but has also given rise to a thriving community of content creators who share their creations with their fan base and other content creators.

Fortnite has also made a significant impact in the world of esports. The game’s competitive scene has grown rapidly, with tournaments offering massive prizes and bringing in top-tier players from around the world. The Fortnite World Cup, held in 2019, showcased the game’s competitive nature and as Kyle “Bugha” won the tournament it positioned him as a major player in the industry.

Fortnite has become a cultural phenomenon that shows no sign of slowing down, its playerbase has always been increasing and whenever it does begin to decline, the game manages to reel in more players. In the world of gaming, Fortnite has remained one of the strongest and most persistent games in the industry, and it’s looking like it’ll remain that way for many years to come.

View Comments (1)