Will the Wrestling Team Live Up to Their Expectations?

After Liberty’s big performance in the Falcon Duals, The wrestling team is proving they are a team to keep an eye out for.”Coach Robert Goff expressed his expectations for himself and how far he can take himself and the team, especially after stepping into the head coaching position so suddenly. “I think the team can be top three in regional and top five in the state,” said Coach Goff. The team recently went through some troubles after losing the previous head coach, Jason Cody. 

“The things Coach Cody did for the team and the personal situations he got them out of couldn’t be outmatched and will long be remembered by the entire team. “Even after this setback the team stayed together because he and the other coaches showed the team hope and that we will be there for every single wrestler on the team,” said Coach Rob.

When asked what a typical week looks like for him and the wrestlers Coach Rob said, “We practice every day of the week except for certain days when there are matches.” During practice, he enjoys practicing live wrestling moves that they see in tournaments, and cardio is required every day. With such a young team and a new head coach, one would think the team would be in shambles, but that could not be farther from the truth.

One of the many strengths of the team is the friendship and bond all the guys share. However, with the team being young, there is less experience. Stress can be a struggle for teenagers because they may not know how to process everything, either at home stress, school stress, or stress in the room itself.  and can make some decisions that aren’t the best for them.” I try not to let stress get to me, but when it does, I do the right thing to set good examples for my wrestlers.” said Coach Rob

The rising stars that are first and second-year wrestlers are Noah Shamblin (Sophomore 1st year 6-9 record), Shaun Aubrey (sophomore 2nd year 16-5 record), Joseph Medina (Junior 2nd year 13-5 record), and Joel Morris (Sophomore 10-8 record). State champion, Noah Hall, says he is confident in the team’s ability to make it far this year. 

After just placing first in the Falcon Duals, Hall is on a hot streak, adding another tournament win under his name. Hall and the rest of the varsity team are putting in the work to be successful this season. Senior, Cayden King stated, “We have solid guys who work hard in the room and act like they do want to be there.” King placed 5th at the end of the Falcon Duals, although it was not what he was hoping for, King maintained a positive outlook. “You can’t win every match, setbacks happen, keep your head up and keep looking forward,” explains King.

This positivity is further expressed in the way he speaks of other athletes. “The junior varsity team has a lot of potential but I think Avery King has got the most and not just because he’s my little brother,” states King. After graduation, Cayden intends on either continuing his academic and athletic career at a four-year college or joining a branch of the military. Liberty High School came in 5th place in the team and 2nd in the division.