The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Teachers For Tomorrow Prepares Students for the Teaching World

Teachers For Tomorrow is a class that anyone can take if they are interested in working with kids for a while or interested in becoming a teacher when they grow up. Apart from that, it also helps people to be more comfortable and confident when speaking in front of others. Some of the things that you learn in TFT are different ways of how to manage a class, making lessons from kindergarten to higher grades, the importance of being patient, and understanding that not everyone works at the same pace, among others. 

Mrs. Linebaugh is the teacher in charge of this program. She is a special educator and Math teacher at LHS and she started teaching TFT 6 years ago. Even though she specializes in Math, teaching and showing new things to people is one of her passions, and that is why she is so glad of the opportunity she had to run TFT.  

“I love the act of teaching more than I love Math or History and English so teaching TFT is the perfect class for me,” Mrs. Linebaugh stated. 

When discussing plans like degrees and colleges, students have the opportunity to go to real classes when they are already finishing their studies. TFT, by its field experiences, is one of the better ways to find how it is actually to be involved in this job and what it is really about. This gives students a chance to see if they like it and if it could be their perfect job in the future. 

“Most people who are interested in teaching don’t get into a classroom until maybe their junior year of college so it’s amazing that these students can be in a classroom as young as 16 years old,” explained Linebaugh. “That’s why it’s a great class because it actually gets you in a classroom.” 

These field experiences are as good for students as for the teachers that host them. Most of the time, the teachers are so excited about having an apprentice in their class, because apart from the fact that they help in the classroom, they learn more about teaching thanks to them. However, one of the tricky parts is just to figure out the rides, as not everyone can drive, and the schools and grades where the students will go.

“We also want to make sure that they’re teaching during that time because we only have class from 1:10 p.m. to 2:20 p.m. For example, if the kindergarteners are in recess that whole time, it is no good for the students to go there,” – mentioned Linebaugh. 

All the students in this class really enjoyed their field experience. It was different for everyone since they all went to different schools and grades but they all learned a lot. Their job was to be available to help the students and the teacher with whatever they needed. Some of them had the opportunity to teach the younger students lessons. Junior, Jacob Whitt, for example, went to Mary Walter Elementary school in a 3rd-grade class “I read their stories, I did learning groups and I taught science lessons,” Whitt said.

Senior, Ashley Gonzalez Carmona, went to H.M Pearson Elementary in a kindergarten art class. “It was fun to see how creative they were in art, especially with the younger kids,” Carmona said.

It was interesting for her to see how some students learn differently than others. “Some kids have a hard time paying attention and others have a hard time listening to the teacher,” Carmona explained.

She had to adapt to the kids’ needs.

All those students are interested in becoming teachers, so they can see what it is like to work with kids. “I liked getting to know all the kids and seeing what I could do as a job,” said Junior, Carleigh Cameron who taught P.E to kindergarten and 2nd-grade class at Grace Miller. Senior, Genesis Recinos Ruiz took this class last year and she is taking Teachers For Tomorrow 2 this semester because she knows for sure that she wants to teach “I want to be either a 1st grade teacher or a science teacher,” said Ruiz.

Even if overall they are all happy about their experience, for some of them it was harder than they thought.

“I learned that teaching is not as easy as it looks. It is really hard,” said Whitt. Senior, Kristal Benitez, who taught physical sciences to 8th graders at Cedar Lee says that engaging 8th graders can be a rewarding challenge, as they thrive on active participation and hands-on learning experiences. She said that she would repeat the experience but with a different grade because 8th grade is too close to high school.

In conclusion, if you are interested in the education field, Teachers For Tomorrow is a great program and a fulfilling experience that gives you many teaching strategies that will be very helpful in your future studies. It can also bring you values and can give you another perspective on the reality of teaching.

View Comments (1)