Empowering Tomorrow’s Entrepreneurs: The Rise of Student Businesses

Liberty High School has proven itself to be a host for growth in student businesses. Now, more than ever, students have taken it upon themselves to promote their businesses and provide services for the community in hopes of achieving their accolades. Student businesses in Liberty range from baked goods, nail art, floral arrangements, and landscaping. 

Students typically embark on their entrepreneurship journey because of the financial independence that comes with starting a business. 

“I’ve taken so much inspiration from my best friend who has a floral arrangement business. I saw how independent she became after her business began to flourish and I really wanted that for myself as well. I love that I’m doing something I enjoy while I’m making some kind of income that’ll help me afford a car or pay for college,” said senior, Jazmin Cortez Lainez, the owner of Baked by Jaz (instagram:@bakedbyjaz_).

Students simultaneously learn how to handle the logistics of running a business and gather experience through their trade. These entrepreneurs become responsible for their finances and promotion. Therefore, they’ve created innovative ways to promote their business online. The use of social media has become extremely useful for students because it allows their content to reach by a broader audience. The implementation of platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook, are instrumental to amplifying students’ work. Many students have utilized Instagram as a portfolio for their work.

“I’ve found that social media is really helpful. I’ll typically post my work but usually, if a customer likes the arrangement I did for them then they’ll post it and that really helps with getting the word out,” said Brigette Mendez Chinchilla, the owner of Aurora Floral (instagram:@aur0ra_fl0ral).

Additionally, Facebook’s Group feature has become particularly helpful for students hoping to reach different audiences throughout Fauquier County. 

“Facebook is a great app for getting yourself out there. There are groups specifically for small businesses in Fauquier County so I wrote a description and sent it to the forum,” said Cortez.

A popular tactic used to gain traction on social media includes giveaways and seasonal sales. A large majority of business owners will use seasonal sales as a way to receive more sales. Some businesses offer free shipping during holidays and small businesses have gotten creative with back-to-school sales for students. 

“If there’s a holiday coming up like Christmas or Valentine’s Day then I’ll post about a discount on my story and that usually catches people’s attention and gives me more clients than I would usually get,” said Kimberly Ramirez, the owner of Nails by Kiki (instagram:@nailss.bykiki).

While social media has proven itself to be helpful, other students have taken a traditional approach to promoting their businesses by physically connecting with the community. 

“Social media helps but I usually go door to door asking people if they need any work done and that’s how I get a majority of my clients,” said senior, Dylan Richards, the owner of DR Landscaping.

Student-run businesses can be used as an opportunity to bridge generations and lend a hand to the community. Students learn to foster a sense of responsibility and create meaningful connections with the community. Although it seems impossible to create a business, Liberty’s entrepreneurs highly encourage other students to take the risk and follow their true passions. 

“I would tell anyone having doubts to go for it. You have absolutely nothing to lose and even if you start with something small, there will still be people there for you and supporting you through the whole process,” said Mendez.

View Comments (1)