LHS New Era Feminism

We are in a rough patch in our world today, and with that we have our younger adults fighting for what’s right. Women would like to paint the picture of our school’s new era feminists, and what they are trying to fight for. First, we asked what feminism means for our feminists here at this school. We got a lot of different answers, but they all had the same goal, to make both genders equal, and not one above the other.

“Throughout history, we almost always have had to fight for our rights, for equality, I want to change that,” Senior, Ash Tavarez-Olivio

We know we have a great school, but there will always be room for improvement. We asked our school feminists what they think of how our school shows a positive light on women, and a lot have some concerns about the need for harassment assemblies and more feminine product options in the bathrooms. History teacher, Mrs. Majoerowciz, is working on helping with that by making QR codes in the girls’ bathroom so the females at our school can email the custodians when in need of product refills. Another concern is the need to listen when a young woman claims she feels uncomfortable. With these issues addressed, the students feel it would not only make our young women of the school feel safer, but the school is safer overall.

“We need to make the students of our school knowledgeable about about how any type of harassment can affect the human mind and body,” said junior, Jaelyn Campas

The title feminist often comes with a certain number of stereotypes and most do not shine a positive light on this particular group of people. The feminists claim that they are sick of the “funny” stereotypes, that end up not being funny.

“We are constantly called “Man Haters”, we are fighting for equality, not supremacy,” Senior, Molly Ritchie, said.

We asked about how our new laws that are being made can harm our world’s female rights, some named the pink tax, the pay difference, and most of all abortion laws. Some of these laws and regulations are not fair, such as the pink tax and the abortion laws. The pink tax is a tax on feminine products, when we as women need these products for sanitary reasons and not just for the show of it. According to the Pew Research Center, as of 2022, American women typically earned 82 cents for every dollar earned by their male counterparts. Some of the new abortion laws are not only not allowing women to terminate their pregnancy but also removing the medicine they use to help people get pregnant. The most recent law in Alabama has stated that embryos are now considered children. Because of this law, IVF centers are being shut down because no shipments are coming in or going out of Alabama. Feminists just want equality and peace, they want to feel wanted and important. Our school’s feminists want to tell future young women that it is okay to speak up, and they think you should do the same.

View Comments (2)