The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Evolution of LHS Esports

Liberty High School Esports has been a program for 3 Years, it began very small, but as the years passed, it has grown into a much larger and successful program. 

As LHS esports grows in popularity, the titles offered to compete do as well. There are many titles such as “Splatoon 3” and “League of Legends”, however “Super Smash Bros Ultimate” and “Mario Kart 8 Deluxe” continue to be the most dominant games, with both titles garnering the most interest. With so many titles available, Coach Sealey pledged 30 wins across 2 seasons of Esports, this goal was specifically chosen in honor of Liberty High School’s 30th anniversary, and by the end of the Fall season, 26 wins were secured. As the Spring Season began, over 20+ new students across all grades would participate in tryouts, likely interested in the lower registration fees than previous years.

“When I set the 30-win goal I didn’t realize how big it would get, it was a much more challenging effort and a great way to show respect to our school, now that we have doubled the size of the teams, 30 wins have come easier than anticipated but that’s due to the tremendous work that the teams have put forward,” explained, Coach Sealey 

After seeing the exponential growth in players between seasons and the 30-win goal being swiftly obtained, Coach Sealey would increase the goal further to increase the victories for the school and to have more community-driven goals. The introduction of Spring season tryouts not only serves as a showcase of skills but also promotes player engagement and team bonding, emphasizing the commitment to creating a highly supportive and friendly program. 

“It’s very welcoming and fun and exciting, there’s also a lot of communication, and I like that because I think it helps us be a better team and also friends.” said sophomore, Felix Reid.

“Esports is friends and competition, a lot of my friends are in esports and we love to mess around but also take the games we play seriously,” said sophomore, Caleb Farnsworth.

LHS Esports has reached a vast audience on the school campus however it doesn’t end there. In 2023, LHS Esports participated in the Kettle Run Invitational, where The Stardust Crusaders would dominate and win the Smash Bros Tournament. Once again, on April 13th, 2024, Kettle Run will be hosting another Invitational where hopefully more wins for LHS can be secured. Other momentous occasions outside competitions include LHS E-sports visiting the University of Mary Washington.

At UMW, the esports program would be showcased, displaying ginormous screens and dozens of monitors and consoles set up accompanied by a large lounge area.

More importantly, the history of their E-sports program would be shared, covering its creation and the journey of growth that followed. One of the most interesting details would be focused on the potential opportunities that can be achieved through esports, such as scholarships. 

Over the past year, LHS Esports has more than doubled in size, introducing three new teams, and taking victories in numerous matches and tournaments. While these achievements are major milestones, there is room for continuous growth and improvement. As the Fall season drew to a close, The Stardust Crusaders would achieve 8th place in Virginia Regionals, while LHS Blue Shell reached the semi-finals, securing an impressive 4th place statewide in Mario Kart. With new teams in both titles, LHS Esports is assured of even greater success in the upcoming season.

“My goal this season is to improve my gameplay, but for the team, I’m hoping we can all improve and get further than last semester, which was already pretty good,” said senior, Ryan Chloros.

Looking ahead, LHS Esports is hoping to compete in more in-person tournaments and highlight the positive aspects of the program. LHS Esports is gearing up for what promises to be its most exceptional season yet. With the introduction of a YouTube Channel, the community around esports can grow further while

maintaining a steady flow of updates with its matches and players. Another major introduction is the Esports merchandise store, where players and any members interested in the Esports community can continue to show their support through high-quality attire.

With each match and tournament, the Esports program displays its competitiveness prowess through dedication, teamwork, and relentless pursuit of excellence in the gaming field. The late 2023 to early 2024 season has seen many great successes. Although the Spring season has not concluded, it’s evident these are the greatest seasons of Esports history so far, cementing itself as one of the strongest pillars of LHS.

View Comments (5)