Girls’ Tennis Team Ready to Serve Up Success

+Victor+ONeil+Studios
Agung_Fauzi
Victor O’Neil Studios

Spring is approaching and with it the start of its sports season. A season in which many emotions can come together as it is the last of the year, and for some, the last time they will be part of a Liberty team. All students are strongly preparing for their games in soccer, baseball, and tennis, among others. A lot of training and dedication is what awaits them over the next few months to see amazing results throughout the season. This year we can see a new girl’s tennis team, who are very eager and ready for whatever comes. 

The team’s coach is Sabrina Phillips. A young woman who apart from being the tennis’ coach is also an instructional assistant and she works with special needs students. She has been playing tennis since her junior year in high school and she played one season at Liberty. This year it will be her fifth season of coaching. She is very excited about the new team and seeing how everyone develops on the courts in a match setting. “I am expecting a rebuilding season, I think that we are going to have a successful one,” said Phillips. 

The new players are enthusiastic about starting to play and at the same time, a little nervous. For many of them, it is their first time playing tennis and the nerves to do something new are always there. Several of the girls decided to try out as they found it a fun, agile, and dynamic sport. “I think tennis is just a cool sport and it sounded fun,” said freshman, Charlotte Neale.

However, Coach Phillips has also been one of the reasons thanks to her positive attitude. She allowed the students to go to conditioning in the fall to practice for the tryouts and see if tennis is really a sport they like. She is always supporting her girls and trying her best for them to learn thanks to different methods such as videos, pickleball practices, or games like Queen of the Court. “At the beginning, I was not sure about what sport to do in Spring, but when I went to tennis conditioning and I met the coach she was super nice and she teaches us a lot,” explained senior, Kelly Tikaphanya. 

There are also returning players who have been playing for Liberty for two years, they both are seniors so this will be their last year on the team. They can’t wait to see the high schools they will play against or what the team will bring. “I am excited to make a bunch of memories,” said senior, Brenda Valdizon, “There are a lot of people this year with a bunch of talent and potential.” They also have shared their favorite moments from last year and they are looking forward to living the same with the new team. “I think team dinners before the games were fun, ” said senior Katherine Jovel. 

In conclusion, the excitement can be seen from the distance in the new girl’s tennis team. Although they have not reached a professional level yet, the players are working very hard to improve every day and achieve their goals. Besides, this season will not only help them to improve but also to create great bonds of friendship that will make a comfortable and magnificent team from which they will have very great memories.