The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Liberty’s College and Career Center

Here at Liberty High School, in our school counseling department, there is a career center, and it is a place for students to go when in need of help.  This service is an excellent resource for students who may not know exactly what they would like to do after graduating high school. Caitlyn Campbell is the College and Career Center Coordinator, Sarah Grace is Liberty High School’s College Advisor, and Ariel Smith is Laurel Ridges Career Coach.  

The Career Center takes care of helping students with college-related forms and deadlines, career help, scholarships, and more. They can help students and answer any questions they could potentially have, or questions their counselor may not be able to answer. “I feel as though the Career Center gives the students and school so many more resources and benefits that help them find the answers they need for scholarship, college, and career stuff,” said Sarah Grace.  Teenagers do not have too much of an idea of all the requirements they could need for college. Many people might think that doing things on their own is a better option than asking for help. 

The employees all have different roles they play in the Career Center for helping students. “My position mainly consists of planning career events for the students here at Liberty High School. I also organize, collect, and distribute scholarship opportunities for the students,” said Caitlyn Campbell. It is great for schools to have a program like this because there is a possibility more students might apply for college and scholarships knowing they can get whatever help they need at any time. “Getting to know the students and helping them reach their goals is a pro of my job, but a con is not being able to reach the students that do not come forward but need the most help,” said Caitlyn Campbell. 

If a student is not looking so much for a career, they could be looking to pursue more education, they should set up a meeting with Sarah Grace. “I advise mainly seniors and juniors about what colleges fit them the best, and also I help students file their FAFSA and VASA,” said Sarah Grace. Sarah Grace encourages students to come to the Career Center to receive help with anything needed. Whether a student wants to go to a community college, a four-year college, or maybe even a trade school, the Career Center will help them find the right fit for them. 

Students who may want to attend a community college can talk to Sarah Grace or Ariel Smith about the different programs schools offer, and opportunities students may be able to receive. Liberty High School students who plan on attending a community college could talk to Ariel Smith about attending Laurel Ridge if they would like to stay in the Fauquier area. “I help students with college and career exploration and applying to Laurel Ridge Community College,” said Ariel Smith.