How to Become a Better Writer

Hello, I’m Wyatt Stone, a journalist for Patriot Press and a writer in my spare time. I’ve been writing consistently for a few years. Though I don’t have many completed stories to show for it, I’ve learned a ton of easy tricks to make your story writing feel much more vibrant, as though the ideas on the pages leaped off the paper into the real world. And now, I’ve come to share these easy tricks with you, dear reader, so sit down, grab a glass of tea, coffee, soda, water, etc., and allow me to grace you with my Aurelian knowledge.

The first and easiest thing you can improve as a writer is how you describe colors. Now you could always say the standard colors, blue, red, and yellow. However, there are tons of specific colors that fall under those categories that could make a clever picture. For example instead of the ‘Blue light pulsed slowly from his body.’ you could go for ‘Cerulean light pulsed slowly from his body.’ It gives a much more clever description and that specific shade that comes to your mind is much sharper than just blue.

Next change how you describe emotions. Just like with colors, you could always use standard words for your emotions but the clearer a picture you paint, the better. So, instead of using anger, you could use wrathful, mad, annoyed, or enraged depending on the level of anger you wish to display. This makes a scene more impactful, for example ‘His angry tears would not stop flowing as he held his dead father’s body in his grasp. He wouldn’t let the monster who did this live.’ sounds good but “His wrathful tears would not stop flowing as he held his dead father’s body in his grasp. He wouldn’t let the monster who did this live” just hits so much harder. Instead of anger, he’s beyond anger, a hate so deep and red it can only be described as wrathful.

Lastly, similes and metaphors bring the real spice your piece might need. These descriptions invoke powerful images in the readers’ heads, and when used properly together they can stack to create a magnum opus of literature. For our last example, “The duel was a storm caused between two fronts, former blood brothers, now trying to strike down the other. Their blades clashed like thunder and their strikes were as swift as the lighting itself. This would end, here and now!” I focused heavily on a storm analogy, from saying it outright, the ‘fronts’ like fronts of wind that can cause certain storms/weather events, before finishing off with a classic thunder and lighting simile. These are just a few simple tips to help turn your writing from good to great!