A Virginian’s Summer Bucket List

A Virginians Summer Bucket List

Every Summer you’ll hear people talk about traveling and getting out more. But usually, when it comes to actually going out and exploring the world, people prefer the comfort of their own homes. This is especially true for people like me who struggle with planning. So, to help the people who want to go out traverse all that Virginia has to offer but have no idea where to start, here is a Virginian’s Summer bucket list.  

Virginia is home to many beautiful sights including national parks. Shenandoah National Park has 200,000 acres of land teeming with fields of wildflowers, sparkling waterfalls, 500 miles of trails, and plenty of fun events for summer!  A smaller park in Virginia is Great Falls Park. Just 15 minutes from Washington D.C, at Great Falls Park the Potomac River rushes over steep, jagged rocks. This park has 800 acres of space for running, strolling, picnicking, and of course, looking at the gorgeous falls.  Natural Bridge State Park, just outside of Lexington, VA, has one main attraction which is a natural bridge said to have been formed from an underground river. This park has been a historical landmark since 2016 and is perfect for pictures for your Instagram story.

If you’re not a very outdoorsy person you may like some of the fine arts museums Virginia has to offer. The Poe Museum in Richmond is the perfect place to go if you happen to be a poetry nerd. This museum is focused on Edgar Allen Poe and the time he spent living in Richmond. The building that the museum is in is designated as the oldest original residential building in Richmond. Another museum in Richmond is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. The museum is one the biggest in the country at 135,000 square feet and is home to the largest collection of Fabergé outside of Europe. The art museum is the only one in the United States that is open all year long with free general admission.

When you’re in Virginia it can seem like you can’t turn your head without bumping into some kind of history. This is especially true when it comes to places like Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. Historic Jamestowne, located just 2.5 miles away from current-day Williamsburg, was the first permanent English settlement in North America. There are many things to explore there including walking tours and live excavations. Colonial Williamsburg is the world’s largest living history museum and home to 89 original 18th-century buildings as well as many reconstructed buildings based on records and research. The living museum has many things to see such as historic gardens, buildings, trades, people of the past, and even art museums.

Whatever you like to do, Virginia has something to offer; with beautiful parks, interesting art museums, and a blast from the past in the historical sites.  With so many different things to see and experience, you won’t even have to leave Virginia to cross off everything on your Summer bucket list. Virginia is for lovers of everything and anything.