Horror Movies for Halloween 2023

If you’re looking for a new genre to watch, horror movies will not let you down. With Halloween being so close, now would be an amazing time to watch some thrilling, exciting, and fearful movies. There’s just something about watching scary movies. It really does leave you at the edge of your seat or hiding under a blanket holding a pillow as tightly as you can. If you’re someone who doesn’t enjoy horror or just doesn’t seem to be drawn in by it, then I really recommend you give it a try sometime in your life. Not only can they be scary, but also sad, romantic, comedy, and mysterious. For newcomers to the horror genre, It, Child’s Play, and Annabelle would be a good starting point.

“You can tell when there’s a jump scare and if you’re not good with scary stuff it can ease you into it,” said Reilly Wirtho’brien.

It’s more common for horror movies to have a mysterious element to the story. Most of the puzzling parts are about what happened in the past and how, and why it’s affecting the protagonist in the movie, and what they will do about it. For example, in Evil Dead Rise, It’s the intro that leaves us in question what was going on and how it contributes to the story. It was also seen as a comedy with some of its unexpected lines. 

Liberty High School students say when they think of horror movies, the first ones that come to mind are, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, Child’s Play, Pet Sematary, and The Terrifier. Some of the classics are included in this list and a lot of people tend to like the classics, but seeing how much horror movies have changed is really exciting for what new ones we will get. The newer movies like Evil Dead Rise, Insidious, The Red Door, and The Nun 2 really show how different movies can get over time and how they continue on. 

“The Terrifier they made recently is way more bloody and gory than the first, I could definitely see how they changed it up with the story too.” – said Genesis Rodriguez Romero.

If you are a horror fan then you probably have a couple of movies that really just amaze you. The majority of people know and love The Conjuring series, Jordan Peele movies, Halloween (1,2, and 3), Friday The 13th, and Scream movies. These movies are liked because they keep making new ones of the series throughout the years. If someone wants to know what else happens in the story they need to watch all the movies in order to fully understand the story as well. What people like about Friday The 13th is the unique jumpscares and story.              

“My favorite is going to have to be Friday the 13th. It’s a classic and the series in general is pretty good.” said 10th grader Red Downey.

Though some people like the movies for their story, the killers can be what lure people in. Different killers have their special perks and characteristics which can make people favor them. The favorites of the people interviewed were Micheal Myers, Freddy Krueger, Jigsaw, Jason Voorhees, and Pennywise, the clown.  Most people like about Jigsaw is how he puts his victims through puzzles that ultimately leads to their gruesome death.

Halloween movies are something that can truly make the whole holiday much more entertaining, whether it’s ghosts or ghouls or zombies or classic icons, Halloween is a great season that brings together many fans of horror. No matter what someone’s favorite horror movie is, the spooky season can bring out the love for scares and all things festive.   

View Comments (2)