Christmas Songs Ranked: From the Finest to the Least Favored

With the holiday season comes a lot of traditions, while all are different there is one universally accepted tradition: Music. No matter who you are, everyone loves music and the holidays bring the best music as it helps expand the holiday atmosphere. Christmas is one of, if not the biggest holiday in the world with over two billion people celebrating the holiday. With Christmas being such a humongous holiday worldwide, music is very prevalent. There are classics such as “Jingle Bells” and “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” that truly capture the Christmas spirit however these are not the only songs and not every song is of the highest quality. The divide in the quality of Christmas songs has left many people asking themselves, “What is the best/worst Christmas song”. 

We took a pole with about 20 people including Brian David, Ashton Mock, Kaima Morales, Marcus Raymond, and Yandel Rodriguez. We pulled them out of class to ask them two questions some answered anonymously some didn’t but they both got the same two questions. What’s your favorite Christmas song, and your least favorite Christmas song, with this information we were able to put this list together of the best and worst Christmas songs.

There is a wide variety of Christmas songs that everyone enjoys. Upbeat, happy, jazz, sad, pop, and rock tunes are all good examples. Many different genres of music use Christmas songs, like a rock band playing a new version of  “Jingle Bells”. Themed Christmas song would be “Santa Baby” and a Christmas heartbreak song would be the classic “Last Christmas”. There is a counter to this, other people enjoy Halloween music more than Christmas music, like Kayla Williams and Kaima Morales “I enjoy Halloween music better,” said Williams. “The Halloween season for me is just much more festive and more unique with its music like this is Halloween,” said Morales, while they also both don’t like Christmas music and enjoy some spooky songs instead.

Music being one of the factors to bring people together can also tear people apart by some people not having the same taste or other people hating on artists. The most divided Christmas songs were, “Grandma got run over by a Reindeer” by songwriter Elmo Shropshire, “Deck the Halls” by The Everly Brothers, a rock duo, and Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms. Some other songs had come close to voting like Jingle Bells with two people voting that Jingle Bells is a good song and one person voted Jingle Bells was a bad song. My personal opinion is that “Jingle Bells” is a basic song. I enjoy pop songs over the classics of Christmas songs.

Some people who enjoyed Mariah Carey’s famous “All I Want for Christmas Is You” were Mary Rodman and Yandel Rodriguez. The best Christmas song voted this year by a bunch of anonymous students carefully picking and choosing the best and worst songs was “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey, and the worst Christmas song voted for this year was, “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” by Tommie Connor a British songwriter. Or if you like Mary Rodman, “I don’t think there are bad Christmas Songs”, then only the best voted matters to you.

View Comments (3)