Dream Scenario is a Nightmare

Dream Scenario is an A24 film and was directed by Kristoffer Borgli. It was released on November 10th, 2023. This film made 8 million USD at the box office. Dream Scenario is an R-rated American black comedy and horror movie. The cinematography was done by Benjamin Loeb.

Paul Matthews, played by Nicolas Cage, is just an ordinary man, there is nothing special about him, however, an unexplained epidemic occurs. A dream epidemic causes many people to randomly see Paul in their dreams. Many of these dreams end up taking a turn for the worse and Paul becomes the main antagonist in millions of traumatizing nightmares.

Nicolas Cage does a phenomenal job at acting in this film. He also provides powerful emotions in his scenes and does amazing with them. Nicolas does a great job at expressing his frustration by the facial expressions he makes and the clenching of his fists and his face. According to an article from the Washington Post, Nicolas Cage claims Dream Scenario to be the perfect Nicolas Cage movie. 

Unlike the acting, the soundtrack does not stand out in any significant way. The music for the movie was composed by Owen Pallett. The musical pieces didn’t stand out and had nothing special about them. The best use of music for this film comes with the trailer, which features the song “Dreams” by The Cranberries. Although It’s a good use of the Cranberries’ debut song, it still was only used for the trailer, if the movie itself used more music similar to “Dreams”, it would have created more to the film and its entertainment. 

Although the movie itself states that it is a horror movie, I don’t feel as if it gives enough of the horror aspects. About one or two parts only seemed a bit scary, but yet they weren’t enough. I’d like to have seen some more suspenseful and frightening moments. From what I also thought, the film should’ve had a little more action.

Despite the great acting of Nicolas Cage, it wasn’t enough to save the movie. Owen Pallett produced an unamusing soundtrack. The trailer song was the best thing to come out of the film. The movie had lost all horror aspects even though they would’ve made it better. If you are a fan of good horror or good movies in general, Dream Scenario is a movie to avoid.