The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Little Wonders of Leprechauns

There are many mysteries about leprechauns, but what are the truths hiding behind them? Leprechauns are rumored to exist or at some point have existed. It is questioned that they might be evil rather than good. Why do leprechauns love gold so much? They also seem to have quite a bit of lore behind them.

One big part of Irish folklore is the leprechauns. They are mostly known as little red-headed men who guard a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Leprechauns are also known as shoemakers and tricky pranksters. Green is a favored color by the little beasts. Echtra Fergus mac Léti is a medieval tale and is the earliest discovered writing that shows leprechauns. It’s also said that leprechauns love their shoes so much that they tend to go out with them and play a lot, which gives them the greatest chance to catch one.

Leprechauns are said to be fictional characters, but what if they are real, or at least were real? These creatures live in Ireland. They are said to live in the trunks of trees, more specifically, fairy trees. Caves are another place they live. Search these places as often as you desire, but these red-headed dwarfs do not exist. All the “proof” of them being real shown on the internet has been debunked numerous times. However, great imagination and strong beliefs can make them as real for yourself as you want them to be.

Pranking is bound to happen by these sneaky men, but are they evil or not? Tales from the past would explain that leprechauns are the sons of evil spirits or corrupted fairies. They aren’t mainly good, but at the same time, they aren’t mainly bad. Different tales say different things, they kill if you aren’t pleased by them, and they also cause drownings and steal children. The 1993 film “Leprechaun” shows a leprechaun going on a murder spree after believing a family stole his gold. In summary, they seem murderous, but don’t think they are all bad. They are for the most part harmless.

It makes no sense that leprechauns like gold even though they aren’t able to spend it. Every leprechaun has a pot of gold, but they can’t purchase anything. However, humans can use gold and these smart creatures can use that gold to bribe themselves out of tricky situations like being trapped. They are also said to be the guardians of the gold.

Many questions are asked about leprechauns. A lot can be asked about their folklore. Children often wonder if they are real or not. They can fondle between the boundaries of good and evil. They just like gold a lot and it can be useful to them. Next time you visit Ireland, keep an eye out for these sneaky, little men. Maybe you’ll spot one, or at least a statue of one.