Women’s History Month: Empowering Change Within Our Community

Beginning March 4th, Liberty High School initiated its annual feminine product drive in support of the Services to Abused Families (SAFE) foundation. The school will be accepting donations through March 15th. 

Liberty High School first partnered with the SAFE organization in 2017 through the Women in History elective taught and founded by history teacher, Jessica Majerowicz. Despite feminine products being a staple in the women’s shelters, the SAFE organization was receiving an underwhelming amount of donations. The drive was introduced to Liberty High School in hopes of ensuring that one of the most vital resources in our region had the means to provide for their occupants’ needs.

The SAFE organization offers a plethora of services for victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. Services include case management, counseling, court accompaniment, shelter, pet sheltering, and bilingual services for anyone in need. The SAFE program has also shifted its focus towards contributing to the well-being of younger generations with the implementation of youth services. These programs help shed light on the increasing rise of dating abuse in teen relationships. Furthermore, the organization has lent a hand in educating young adults on the potential dangers of remaining in these relationships. Individuals seeking refuge are ensured safety and the necessary resources to start anew. The feminine product drive has served as a reliable way for Liberty to give back to the community by providing for women in deep need. Offering services to women that are guaranteed to keep them safe allows women and their families to break the cycle of violence. The SAFE organization provides women and their families with a supportive environment to convalesce. 

In the past few years, Liberty has continued its legacy of making the feminine product drive competition amongst all of the departments to maintain high participation rates. This school year, the department with the most donations will be awarded a trophy from the Women in History class. 

Another great opportunity in honor of Women’s History Month includes the Women in History class’ annual merchandise sale. This year, the Women in History class will be offering the previous year’s design due to its popularity. However, they will be offering the merchandise in an additional color starting March 18th. Last year, the proceeds from all merchandise sales were donated to the Project Liberty Well. All proceeds from this year’s annual sale will be donated to the Campaign for Female Education (CAMFED). CAMFED is an organization in rural Africa that encourages young girls to pursue an education. The organization is committed to empowering young girls through education. Funding young women’s education is crucial for achieving gender equality and breaking the cycle of poverty. Educated women are more likely to make informed decisions regarding their families’ health and finances. By making education accessible, women are more inclined to participate in decision-making processes or be in positions of power within their local government. 

The importance of public education and access to basic necessities such as feminine products cannot be overstated. Funding women’s education is crucial to the growth and stability of a nation. Likewise, supporting movements like the feminine product drive, guarantees that women can thrive in their daily life. Anyone interested in purchasing the annual Women in History merchandise is highly encouraged to see Mrs Majerowicz in room 2111. The final day to donate feminine products is March 15th.