A European Travel Guide!

A European Travel Guide!

Europe is a wonderful continent full of beautiful landscapes, from the peaks of the Alps to the idyllic Mediterranean beaches. There is great wealth in its history as well as monuments that transport us to the past, like the Colosseum in Rome, Italy, or the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. It also highlights a variety of cultures and ways of life that have influenced the entire world. Europe offers endless wonders to explore, but for U.S. travelers, adjusting to cultural differences can be a challenge. In this article, you will find a small guide to help you adapt to the lifestyle on your trip to Europe. 

Firstly, one of the differences at first glance is the distances. In the United States, public transportation is rarely seen and only exists in large cities. In Europe, even if you live in a small town or rural area, it is very easy to take public transportation to get around cities, states, or even other countries on the continent. Buses and trains or subways are the most used and easily help you to get around without using your car. Walking is also a way to get around cities safely and quickly. Everything is usually very central and well located so it is very normal to walk everywhere. 

When you go to eat in a restaurant in Europe, among all the cultural differences, you will notice that the time of the meal is very different from what it is in the United States. First of all, there are some practical differences that it is important to point out. Over there, giving tips to waiters is not common at all and it is not required. You also don’t need to add taxes when the bill comes because they are already included in the price of the meal. So you already know exactly what you will pay when you have the menu in front of you. It is also important to know that the portion sizes of the food are usually smaller and if you don’t finish it, it is not common to ask for a box but you can do it and take your leftovers home. In the US, all soft drinks come with a whole lot of ice and can be unlimitedly refilled without any charges. It is not the case in Europe and if you ask for ice in your drink they will bring you two tiny ice cubes. 

The types of restaurants are also very different from what you know. The fast foods you will find are all Americans and it is not very common to eat there regularly. It is also very hard to find drive-throughs because cars are not as used as they are here. Most of the restaurants are local.

Beyond the places you will eat in or the food itself which of course changes in all countries, you will discover the meaning and what the culture of the “table talk” represents. In Europe, it means a lot to have dinner or lunch with members of your family or your friends. It is something that you do every day and it can take hours because it is a moment of sharing and socializing more than anything else. Another part of the culture that relates to this point is the “cafe culture”. Everybody, young or older, hangs out at a cafe and spends time talking at a table sipping a drink and it is great when you want to socialize without doing too much. In warmer countries, the tables are outside. 

Moreover, other things you will notice differently too are lifestyle and dressing up. In European countries, it is normal to be well-dressed, even if it is just to go to the grocery store. 

Even so, it doesn’t really seem to us to be that dressed up but if you compare it with the American style it can be. You would never think about the idea of seeing someone in pajamas or Crocs at school or on the street.

The idea of adulthood and drinking can also surprise Americans. In Europe, you turn an adult when you are 18 so you have all rights, such as voting, driving, and drinking. However, it is not uncommon to see teenagers drinking a light cocktail or giving a sip to a drink just to try it with their parents. 

In terms of sports, they are not similar either, the main European sport is soccer, what we call football. It has very good teams like Real Madrid or Paris Saint Germain, and the fans live it to the fullest and with huge celebrations. The spirit in soccer never fails. In fact, spirit and tradition are things that never fail in European culture either. Europe is conservative and gives a lot of value to its costumes and history.

Finally, the differences are a whole lot and most of them are details but when they are put all together it creates culture shocks. Some of them are obvious, for example, we could also talk about the currency which is Euros in most countries, or the different measurement system because the metric system is used in Europe which is therefore not the same as the one used in the United States or many other differences.  

It must be remembered that Europe is made up of a multitude of countries that vary greatly from one another in matters of culture, landscape, and climate and it is important not to generalize them all only because they are part of the same continent. 

We hope we have given you useful advice and tips for your next trip. Are you ready for your European adventure?