Eternal Sunshine: Ariana Grande’s Latest Album Review

After a four-year-long hiatus, Ariana Grande released her seventh studio album, Eternal Sunshine. Ever since its release, fans have been eagerly discussing and dissecting the thirty-five-minute-long album in its entirety. 

Grande’s single, “We Can’t Be Friends (wait for your love),” debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The music video pictures various references to the 2004 American scientific-fiction drama film, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. The film depicts the protagonist undergoing a procedure that erases the memories of her previous relationship. When the protagonist’s former partner becomes aware of this, he decides to follow through with the same procedure. Despite their memories being erased, the couple is ultimately reunited. 

The internet has been very vocal about their understanding of the album and they have formulated a plethora of reasons as to why Ariana Grande chose to implement a theme for her new album. Fans have speculated that Ariana chose a concept album in order to pay homage to her late partner, Mac Miller. Prior to his death, Miller publicly stated that the movie was one of his favorite films. On the other hand, fans have alleged that a concept album was crucial to keeping the contents of her divorce from Dalton Gomez private from the public eye. 

In the midst of the public hearing of Grande’s divorce, she was spotted with her coworker from the set of Wicked. There has been speculation of infidelity on behalf of Slater, which led people to accuse Grande of being a “homewrecker.” As a result of said allegations, the lead single, “Yes, and?” received a lot of backlash due to the nonchalant nature of the lyrics, Don’t comment on my body, do not reply. Your business is yours and mine is mine.” In addition, tabloids revealed that Slater’s ex-wife made a statement reporting that Grande “isn’t a girl’s girl.” Fans have speculated that Ariana released the album on International Women’s Day as a way to refute all of the negative assumptions being made about her personal life. 

Although the odds seemed to be stacked against Grande, she managed to defy the scrutiny she has received from the public. Among all of the singles on Eternal Sunshine, one particularly has become a fan favorite and has even captured the attention of casual listeners. The track titled, “The Boy Is Mine,” initially garnered the public’s attention due to the title and speculation of a reference to the 1998 version of The Boy is Mine by Brandy and Monica. The song is reminiscent of the early 2000’s and demonstrates Grande’s signature high-octave vocals. 

Despite the sad and sultry nature of the album, songs such as, “Don’t Wanna Break up Again,”  share a more positive and encouraging perspective for listeners going through a heartbreak. The song explores what it feels like to be stuck in a dark world due to a relationship and prioritizing your own happiness, “we both know this time, so we say goodbye, just a kiss goodbye with tears in our eyes. Hope you won’t, won’t regret me. Hope you still think fondly of our little life,” sings Grande. “don’t wanna break up again” allows the listener to understand the bittersweetness of abandoning a relationship for one’s own wellbeing. 

The title track perfectly encapsulates the sorrowful end of a relationship. The song begins with confronting the negative aspects of the relationship, “I don’t care what people say. We both know I couldn’t change you. I guess you could say the same, can’t rearrange truth.” Grande describes feeling vulnerable in a relationship and consistently facing betrayal. The track comes to an end with a farewell to the relationship and a new beginning, “Won’t break, can’t shake this fate, rewrite. Deep breaths, tight chest. Life, death, rewind.”  

The transitions between tracks make listening to the album a sonically revitalizing experience. Grande does an extraordinary job of establishing the importance of vulnerability and strength within oneself with her universal lyrics.