School Traditions Enrich Student Experience and Foster Community Spirit

Here at Liberty High School, we have a couple of traditions that cater to the whole school, and a select amount of students, and also are available to the public. Traditions can be very important to schools because they can play a role in shaping the school’s identity. A school could have many different traditions that help bring light to the different goals of the establishment. Some traditions could be sports-related, student-related, giving back to the community, and more. 

The Bird Bowl is a tradition that has been around for 30 years. The Bird Bowl occurs when the Liberty High School and Fauquier High School football teams compete against each other during the season. The 2023-2024 school year marked the Liberty Eagles’ twenty-first win against the Fauquier Falcons. It is always a fun experience for the schools and the community to attend football games especially since the schools are rivals when it comes to sports. “I think it is an elite experience being able to participate and continue the tradition, and there is always a weight on our shoulders to keep it going,” said senior, Dylan Richards. Liberty students are very spirited and supportive of the football team when it comes to the Bird Bowl. It is usually the biggest game of the season, and it always makes the Fauquier Times newspaper.

An additional tradition at Liberty is Trunk Or Treat. Students can bring out their younger siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc, to go trick-or-treating in the Liberty parking lot. It is a very enjoyable experience for the little kids. The children are also allowed to go on a student-led tour through the decorated hallways. “The Trunk or Treat is a great way for the students to be involved in the community and give back, while they are also having fun with their friends,” said senior Elizabeth Montecinos. The Trunk or Treat is also a good source of community service hours for the various clubs and organizations. 

Another tradition that Liberty High School holds is the Eagle Spirit Awards. Teachers can choose a student that they feel should receive an award and write a letter that will be read at the awards ceremony. Students are allowed to invite their families to celebrate them, and Liberty’s Culinary program provides breakfast for those attending. “I was really surprised that I received two of these awards from two of my favorite teachers, and I was able to enjoy the ceremony and food with my family and friends,” said senior Abby Rodriguez. 

As the years go on, Liberty High School is bound to create new traditions, while also continuing the ones that are already established.