Godzilla X Kong: A Colossal Good Time

The Monsterverse kicked off in 2014 with “Godzilla,” marking the start of a new cinematic universe. Subsequent releases included “Kong” in 2017, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” in 2019, and the epic showdown “Godzilla Vs Kong” in 2021. While “GvK” was a huge hit, it wasn’t without its flaws, but audiences were attracted by its stunning visuals, humor, and colossal monster battles. Following its success, the sequel, “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire” was announced, promising another thrilling adventure with these iconic creatures.

“Godzilla x Kong,” is set a few years after the first film, two main storylines unfold, eventually converging in the climax. One follows Kong delving into uncharted regions of Hollow Earth, an expansive ecosystem beneath the Earth’s surface, where many monsters reside. In Hollow Earth, Kong encounters an empire of apes led by The Scar King, who wields power with a Kaiju named Shimo. Kong befriends Suko, an ape victimized by The Scar King’s tyranny, together they adventure through Hollow Earth, facing many challenges along the way. Meanwhile, Godzilla roams the globe, eliminating monsters and growing stronger, anticipating the threat posed by The Scar King and Shimo, who plan to invade and take over the surface world. The narrative reaches its peak when Kong and Godzilla unite once again to battle The Scar King, Shimo, and their army of apes.

GxK uses simple concepts for an engaging viewing experience. Notably, the inclusion of human characters and subplots adds depth to the narrative, unlike previous Monsterverse movies where the human storylines dominate the screen time with dull and uninspiring plots. While human elements are typically criticized in monster movies, the greatest exception is the Oscar-winning “Godzilla Minus One” which demonstrates the perfect blend of monsters and human narratives. In GxK, the human presence serves to advance the Kaiju plotlines and delve further into the lore of the Monsterverse, giving audiences a deeper understanding of this universe.

Similar to its predecessors in the Monsterverse, the highlights of GxK lie in scenes featuring the monsters themselves, with Kong taking the role of the main character. Much of the storytelling revolves around wordless communication, relying on facial expressions, physical gestures, and the musical score by Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) and Antonio Di Lorio.

Between narrative-driven moments, the film delivers exhilarating action scenes. These battles are visually stunning, featuring unique sound effects and richly detailed environments with vibrant colors. While many action sequences are impressive, others involving Godzilla are either rushed or abruptly end, not allowing Godzilla to shine as a character. This Issue is likely due to Kong’s prominence in the story, with his fights receiving more extensive and visually striking scenes compared to Godzilla. Godzilla’s appearance in the movie is very brief up until the climax, which may disappoint fans expecting a more significant role, especially given the film’s title. “Godzilla x Kong” is a straightforward addition to a franchise centered around colossal monster battles. GxK doesn’t aim to be a cinematic masterpiece but instead, a film that’s meant to entertain fans. Despite its many issues, the film embodies the essence of the Monsterverse, offering the best aspects of the franchise: compelling music, intriguing mysteries, well-timed humor, and, above all, enormous action setpieces, featuring two of the most loved monsters in film history.