School Lunch Chatter: Students Reveal Their Thoughts on Lunch

Do you have any opinions about LHS school lunch? We are trying to bring out any thoughts through teachers, parents, and staff about our school lunch options. We interviewed some of our students and staff and got some excellent answers about what they think our school lunches should look like. This is what one of our students, junior, Karly McDonough, had to say about it.

“Some people like unhealthy food because we are in high school, and others like those healthier options, so I think we should have a majority between them,” On the other side, some teachers think we should have more fresh and healthy options for their kids coming into the school and other students. There are also other concerns about food with allergens and those who need gluten-free options. While most think we offer enough variety for those who can’t eat certain products, some disagree and wish we had more options.

Though there are a lot of things students and teachers don’t like about our school lunch, there are options that some students just can’t stop talking about, including the peanut butter and jelly, as well as the mozzarella bites with marinara sauce. We asked sophomore, Micheal Amaya about his favorite lunch options and he was very adamant saying, “The peanut butter and jelly sandwich is on top, that is the best thing in the lunch line,”

There have also been quite a few concerns with portion sizing. We talked to our lunch staff and discovered that the sizes are a federal regulation and they cannot change how much of each ingredient they can serve especially when serving hundreds of students every day, Monday through Friday. Because LHS is a free and reduced-price lunch school, they have to follow strict guidelines of a certain amount of meat/meat alternatives, with the students’ choice of fruit or juice. They usually have other sides that go with the entree such as french fries, or mashed potatoes giving the students many options to choose from.

In the end, our lunch staff is providing us students the best lunch for us. In the future, more options could be available as well as different regulations.