The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Freshman Experience at Liberty

Starting high school might be a scary experience for freshmen. Starting something new is something scary for lots of people, so we asked different people from all grades what they thought about their freshman year. We spoke with some juniors, sophomores, and freshmen about what they thought about starting high school. “The biggest difference for me between high school and middle school is that it’s a way bigger environment. More people are similar to you, and the classes felt longer,” said junior, Itzel Martinez Jimenez. This is a common thing that we heard from the students that we interviewed. The classes felt longer because there were only 4 throughout the day. 

The first day of freshman year is always hectic. “I got lost on the first day of school and I was very nervous for my classes and the students that were gonna be in my class,”   junior, Jeordy Bonilla explained. “I felt like I was going to be judged.” Many students face these problems and feel as if they will be judged based on their appearance and actions, but Jeordy said that he met people his freshman year that made him feel accepted and confident in high school. “I was very nervous and anxious but, on the second day in high school I felt more confident and thought it went better because I had memorized my classes so I wouldn’t get lost,” said, sophomore Kenya Sandoval. We also asked her what the difference was between high school and middle school. She said her classes are longer and not that strict like middle school, they’re more independent. For example, they can finish their missing work, focus on their classes, do unfinished homework, or even do work from other classes. 

We are told from the many people that we interviewed that your freshman year can be a life-changing experience. here was a huge difference for me, since I started high school as a freshman to being a sophomore,” stated sophomore, Ethan Barahona. “My Appearance and personality changed. I also think if I could change one thing about my freshman year, I would have focused more on my studies because it’s coming back to haunt me now.”

When people start high school they usually have the same problems or same fears but they always overcome them or get used to them, because it’s part of growing up. Most students are scared of the classes, some of their tryouts, and mostly the people who end up being in your classes. They fear this because they get scared they will either be alone or have no one to talk to. Some people have a hard time meeting new people or making new friends, but stepping out of your comfort zone is something that can help you grow as an individual. So if you’re a freshman, don’t be afraid to try something new, because at the end of the day, everyone goes through the same problems, and it’s nothing to worry about. It’s part of life and a big step you are making to get to know new people and a new activity or skill you will learn to use in the future. GO EAGLES!!