The Student News Site of Liberty High School

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Patriot Press

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Examining the Palestinian Collegiate Protests

It was mid-April when college students all around the U.S. started protesting in support of the Palestinian people. These students are trying to get their schools to stop investing in companies that do business with Israel. The reason people are feeling so strongly about this is because of the war between Hamas and Israel.

The main goal of this protest is to have a permanent ceasefire in Gaza and to put a stop to U.S. military assistance for Israel. So many horrible things have happened throughout this battle including the death of over 14,500 children in Gaza. Student protestors and other protestors all over the country are trying to send a message to the U.S. so that they will stop collaborating with Israel and helping Israel throughout the violent tension between Hamas and Israel. The main groups holding these protests are students seeking justice for Palestine and using the Jewish voice for peace. 

So many fights have broken out between both sides of this battle at campuses nationwide. Some of the protests have caused havoc in the eyes of the U.S. police, resulting in over 2,500 arrests, and with more and more of these protests, many people are expecting more arrests. Many of these arrests are taking place at some of the bigger Universities including, Colombia, Yale, NYU, and more. The police at some points are demanding a disperse of the protestors because of all of the fighting; this is what has caused many arrests. Police have also shot rubber projectiles at protestors, hospitalizing many, and they have also used tear gas towards the protesting students. Police supposedly fired a gun inside one of the Colombia campuses, scaring many. 

The counter-protestors are being led by Israeli American and Zionist groups along with other students. At UCLA hundreds of students and other people came together at a rally held by counter-protestors. An Israeli advocacy group called the Israeli American Council created this rally. At UC Berkeley a fight broke out between a Pro Palestinian protestor and the co-founder of the Zionist group. At Aristona state, many counter-protestors helped end a protest encampment on April 27. Hundreds of people at the University of Mississippi and other schools waved U.S flags and other banners around contradicting the Pro Palestinian protestors on the 2nd of May. 

At the end of April, Pro-Palestinian protestors were seen to have taken down the American flag at the University of North Carolina, replacing it with the Palestinian flag. People who were part of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity went viral after putting the American flag back up and showing it to activists. Many Americans were so empowered by this “Patriotic” motion that they started a GoFundMe to “Throw ‘em a rager.” 

All anyone hopes for right now is for this havoc to end. Not only have graduations been stopped because of this chaos, but arrests, fights, and many more terrible things have happened. All anyone can hope for on earth right now is peace between these countries.