Liberty girls lacrosse attacks the season with new coaches and a big roster.

Caroline Lasher is just one of many returning Eagles on the LHS lacrosse squad. Photo courtesy LHS yearbook staff.

Karly McDonough, Staff Reporter

Spring is just around the corner and girls lacrosse is starting a brand new season with a much larger team and a new duo of coaches, Rylie Cole and Teresa Siburn.

“As the new coaches we are looking forward to the girls working hard and being supportive to them and using values that can embody a team,¨ said Cole.

Their biggest challenge might just be having to manage the 32 players that they put on the varsity roster.

¨One of the potential challenges for having this many players is that it can create a competitive environment for all the girls to earn time, and work even harder,¨ said Cole.

Balancing the environment and playing time may be difficult for them to handle knowing they only have 25 jerseys.

¨This year with the turn out we want to have a larger team to make sure that we reach as many players as once and create a positive environment for everyone,¨ said Cole.

The Liberty girls lacrosse goalies are captain Maria Brickey and Emaleigh Owens.

Leading the offense this year will be returning players Emma Carter, Reagan Clements, Jazmin Cortez, Alexandra Davila, and Caty Whitt.

Midfielders coming back this year are Gabby Downey, Amelia Hutchinson, Caroline Lasher, captian Alaina Marek, captain Mary Rodman, and Diana Paz,

Returning defensive players are Kaitlyn Reaves, Jamya Shellington, and Natalie Miyasato.
The larger roster allows more opportunities for new players to be a part of the team. Liberty’s team will feature 13 new players.

The positions are ambiguous this season, because all players are expected to know all the positions, so they can fill in as needed. Many players will switch positions throughout the games.

The first Liberty girls lacrosse scrimmage was on March 6 against Tuscarora High School.

¨During the scrimmages the girls were put into different positions to see who works well together. It’s also a great time for upperclassmen to take leadership roles,¨ said Cole.

¨I think the scrimmages went well. It was a great starting point to see where everyone is at,¨ said Brickey

The team lost their season opener on March 17 against Loudoun County.

¨I was very excited about our first game. Over the past years, we have gotten a lot stronger and I think if we keep a positive mindset we will do great,¨ said Shellington.

Their next game is on March 22 at Osbourn Park.