Owen Rogers: States, Lacrosse, College

Photo by Amara Collins.

Amara Collins, Features Editor

Senior Owen Rogers has been running cross country since eighth grade and indoor track and field since tenth grade. Rogers qualified for states and Adidas Track nationals with the boy’s 4×4 relay team which consisted of senior Jacob Phelps, Cole Hoffman, and Aidan Neidich during winter track season. The boy’s 4×4 relay took home the silver medal at regionals and qualified by placement for states.

“It felt like all the hard work had finally paid off,” said Rogers.

At states, the boy’s 4×4 relay ran a time of 3:34:30, and at nationals, they ran a time of 3:38:55. Being on the team for so long and it being his last year running, Rogers was bound to make some friendships. 

“I’ll miss the people on the team and the friendships I made with them,” said Rogers. 

For the last four years, Rogers has matured and grown as a person, this has shown in track and field and lacrosse. 

“I’ve seen a lot of growth over the last four years and I’m so excited to see him at the next level. Lacrosse has always been his true love and I’m glad we had the chance to work with him in track and field. I’m just really excited for him”, said assistant coach and special education teacher Helene Leigh. 

Despite running track and field, his first love was lacrosse. Rogers has been playing lacrosse since he was eight years old. He began playing lacrosse because a close friend of his started playing. Rogers has been playing on Liberty High School’s lacrosse team since his freshman year but he has been on varsity since his sophomore year. He was named captain of the team at the end of his junior season by head coach Michael Gesiotto. Rogers is currently the captain along with seniors Corbin Barb and Nick Ciampaglione.

“It felt like the coach was putting his trust in me,” said Rogers. 

Even though this is Rogers last time playing high school lacrosse, he will be continuing his lacrosse journey in college. Rogers committed to Saint Vincent College in Pennsylvania. 

“I really enjoyed the college and the team. I’m excited to play. I liked the attitude of the team and the coaches,” said Rogers. 

With it being senior year, Rogers wanted to try something new. Rogers is playing lacrosse and running spring track and field. As double sports came to Liberty, Rogers is one of the many doing it this year. 

“I did double sports for the benefits of running and it won’t change my lacrosse schedule,” said Rogers. 

As the end of the year approaches, Rogers hopes to help his lacrosse team develop and get better. 

“When you get to know Owen Rogers as a person, you can tell he has this excitement for life. It’s like he knows he’s going to be successful. Ever since I’ve known him, he’s always been a positive person,” said Principal Sam Cox.

Owen Rogers is one of the many successful students that Liberty has had.