Ryan Wilson leaps into future with Mount Olive commitment

Ryan Wilson-McCoy signs with Mount Olive. Photo by Amara Collins

Amara Collins, Features Editor

Senior Ryan Wilson-McCoy reflects on his achievements in track and field and his time spent at Liberty High School. Wilson began running track and field in the tenth grade.

Wilson initially began running and jumping to improve his basketball skills.

“I started jumping because I had a dream of dunking and I knew working on jumps would increase my vertical jump,” said Wilson.

Wilson started playing basketball in the seventh grade and continued to play until eleventh grade.

“I miss playing basketball all the time and I still love it to this day. I wish I could still play,” said Wilson.

Despite playing basketball for so long, Wilson fell in love with track and field shortly after he joined Liberty’s track and field team.

Wilson competed at the Virginia Showcase during this past winter season. At the showcase, Wilson broke a school record and nationally qualified for triple jump with a jump of 45’3 all while taking third place at the Virginia Showcase.

“The Virginia Showcase was definitely the best event I went to. I was just happy to break the record but getting third place was the cherry on top,” said Wilson.

At districts, Wilson took home gold in both long jump and triple jump along with improving his triple jump performance. At the state class four meet, Wilson placed eighth in the long jump with a jump of 20-6.5. Wilson then went on to earn a bronze medal for placing third in the triple jump.

“I didn’t think I would have qualified for states in both events. It was a feeling I can’t even explain,” said Wilson.

Wilson earned the most valuable player during the winter season which is his second time earning it. “It was tough. It was a dope accomplishment,” said Wilson.

Wilson’s biggest goals for this spring season are to place first in the triple and long jump and become an all-American.

Wilson has his teammates, coaches, family, Mrs. Davenport, and especially his dad to thank for pushing him this far in his track career. Wilson’s dad has been there every step of the way.

Wilson’s dad is Liberty’s track and field jump coach. Coach Ryan McCoy was a collegiate jumper at George Mason University.

This past year, Wilson has been following in his footsteps. Wilson has accomplished a lot this past year in track and field and in academics. Wilson’s senior season will be coming to an end in a few short weeks but he will continue to run in college.

Ryan Wilson-McCoy celebrates his signing with his family. Photo by Amara Collins

Wilson will be running for the next four years at the University of Mount Olive.  Mount Olive is a private, division two school located in North Carolina.

“Yum, pickles. It felt amazing that a school wanted me to compete for them and have me represent their program,” said Wilson.

Wilson chose Mount Olive because of the atmosphere, the coaching staff, and the school area.

“When I went on the visit, I just felt so welcomed and wanted at the school. It felt like a no-brainer,” said Wilson.

Wilson is beyond excited to move on in this next chapter of his life.

“I’m ready to see what challenges I have to face, obstacles to overcome, and not to mention traveling but I’m only going to be nervous about not letting anyone down,” said Wilson.