Graduation Greatness: Early Birds

Graduation Greatness: Early Birds

High school is a phase many people go through in life, it’s a period where all students start to discover who they are, what they love, and what things they want to do after high school ends. For many students, high school ends after 4 years but for others, a different path is chosen.

Early graduation is available in many schools for students who want to get ahead and finish their courses early to begin the next phase of their lives sooner whether it’s work or college or whichever path they choose to follow afterward. Early graduation is great for many students as it allows them to not only pursue their dreams sooner but also look into what their vocation in life is after 12 years of school. The school counselors are the way to begin, they will explain the requirements for early graduation and hand a form for the student to fill out. Students will also have to write an essay to explain why they want to graduate early. Afterward, if the student is approved, the counselors form a plan that ensures all graduation requirements will be met in the expedited time frame. The process isn’t overly complicated, making it a viable option for a wide variety of students. Early graduation comes in many different forms, some senior students will graduate halfway through the school year rather than the normal expected time. On the other hand, 11th graders can graduate a whole year early by prioritizing their core classes.

“I had to figure out my schedule with Mr Beasley and he helped me out by putting me in classes that were needed to graduate early, like English and Science classes,” said Junior, Connie Ulloa 

The amount of opportunities given to students who graduate early is immense, graduates will be able to enter the workforce, pursue higher education save on tuition costs, and have an early start in income gain. When it comes to the workforce early graduation can give a major benefit. Many places hire people who are looking for dedicated and hardworking people, early graduation not only shows that but it gives an advantage over other people searching for similar jobs who may look less committed. 

Not everyone is going to enter the workforce or college directly after graduation however just being an early graduate is an amazing start for everyone even if they’re not fully sure of what they want to do next.

“When I applied I had to write about myself and what I would do with the extra time. I have a job set up with a mechanical service company, it pays good and I’ll be focusing on that when I’m out of school,” said Senior, Logan Sanders

“As soon as I’m out, I’m going to find a job, There a couple of things I can try to get into,” said Senior, Gerardo Vasquez 

An amazing personal aspect of early graduation comes with friends and family. There’s nothing better than accomplishing something great than being surrounded by those you love, who continue to show their support. Everyone who goes through early graduation is already accomplishing something spectacular but celebrating with those closest makes the achievement even better. 

“I got a lot of support from my teachers and guidance counselors, when I told my parents that I got approved, they were proud too and said it was “a big reason to celebrate,” said Gerardo Vasquez

“My family was super supportive of me and we went out to dinner when I told them I got approved. My friends on the other hand were sad that I would be leaving sooner than expected, they were still happy for me, but It was still upsetting,” said Senior.

With each year, more students leave Liberty, as well as the number of early graduates. It’s important to understand what each graduate did in school. Early graduates are a representation of going beyond the finish line, they excelled through high school and have a great reminder to show for it. No matter how or when they graduate, every graduate should be applauded for their work throughout all years of school and continue to strive for greatness even past high school.