Transitioning Back to School in 2024

Scarlett Mortenson

Coming back to school is different for everyone. Some students may feel excited to meet new friends and reunite with old ones. Many students might endure a variety of emotions moving through with the change. Some may feel overwhelmed by new classes or even have anxiety about new rules and changes in their social life. Some people find that this change can be positive. Students prepare for this big change by creating daily rituals for themselves to get ready for school. 

Nervousness seems to be a big reason why students aren’t excited about returning to school. The thought of returning to a new semester with new classes for another five to six months can be nerve-racking and stressful. 

“I had a lot of anxiety because I started Biology Honors and Algebra 2 and those are hard classes for me,” said freshman, Olivia Arey. 

Change is tough for so many people but transitioning into a new semester can be quite rough for some students so, to make that transition smoother, many of our students have their coming back to school routine like making a new playlist, cleaning their rooms, improving their sleep schedule or even studying for their upcoming classes.

“During the break, I was taking some practice tests for my courses because I didn’t want to be behind because every time I came back to school from winter break in previous years, I wouldn’t exactly understand the material.“ said Senior, Victor Elueme.

Everyone knows that you should get the recommended eight hours of sleep each night but, during the break when you’re stuck at home, what’s the point of going to sleep on time if you can sleep all day; right? As the end of winter break creeps up on you, many of our students realize that they need to fix their sleeping habits before coming back to school.

“I needed to change my sleep schedule before school started because I was staying up super late,” said sophomore, Joce Griffith

Coming back to school from break has its positives. Many enjoy the change with the new opportunity to meet new people and even reunite with old friends. Others might be excited to start spring sports and join clubs.

“I like getting to see my friends after winter break,” said freshman, Jhony Sarceno.

Coming back to school in January after being gone for two weeks can be a hard slap in the face but there are pros and cons to everything. Many students think that while they may not particularly enjoy their classes or their lunch shift; seeing their friends, participating in spring sports, or being active in clubs, makes the Liberty High School experience all worth it.

“It’s frustrating to come back to school because I’m always nervous about getting my assignments done and passing my tests but, I enjoy the clubs and things that I’m involved in and of course, seeing my friends is great so I think those things kinda make waking up at six every morning worth it.” said freshman, Cheyenne Dao. 

View Comments (1)