Best Fishing Spots in Virginia

Best Fishing Spots in Virginia

There are many people that love to fish in the summer all day and night. There are many places to fish like Lake Anna, Smith Lake, and Mossy Creek. They are most popular here in Virginia 

Lake Anna is located in Orange, Lake Anna offers great fishing opportunities to fishers of different talents and skills. The lake is 13,000 acres but only 9,600 acres are available to the public. There are two sides to the lake which people call the cold side and the hot side. There are still great fishing opportunities on either side of the lake, but to access the hot side you have to have special permission to enter the hot side. On the cold side, many different public ramps are open for people year-round. The most popular fish that are in Lake Anna are largemouth bass, crappie, and stripers and there is a special bread that is mixed with striped bass and white bass. If you are targeting bass the perfect time to visit is during March or April but the other fish are common year-round but tend to go away around mid-May. 

Smith Mountain Lake is the second largest lake in Virginia and is considered one of the best fishing places to go to in Virginia. The lake has 500 miles of shoreline and is surrounded by the Blue Ridge mountains. The lake is home to some prize-winning catches. The biggest fish that was recorded was a striped bass that weighed more than 45 pounds. Avid fishers at the lake are saying that they catch many 30-pound bass at Smith Mountain Lake often. And if you’re interested in different fish in the lake there is a much deeper part that is home to fish like flathead catfish, muskie, crappie, and walleye. 

Mossy Creek is a very famous creek to many who love to fish and it is well known for fishermen who like to fly fish. A lot of fly fishermen say that the creek is very challenging and frustrating even for experienced fishers. What makes it special is the brown trout. The brown trout are a very hard fish to catch and they are known to be very strong which makes it harder for fishermen. Mossy Creek is also well known for how challenging the ground is underwater there are a lot of steep drop-offs, dense vegetation, and swift runs, and the banks are steep as well. But if you’re determined enough you might be rewarded with a 25-inch brown trout or a yellow trout.